Monday 27 February 2012

Thoughts on the Chrysler TD by Maserati

 Hey, I just picked up the newest issue of Car and Driver and found something very interesting in the "25 Cars Worth Waiting For" article. It's called the Chrysler TD by Maserati, I could find no other information about it (not even a picture) online, so I decided to post my thoughts about it.  Read on...



I could find no images of the TD by Maserati online so I had to take a picture of the article with my Webcam. 
My mind immediately jumped to the Chrysler TC by Maserati (pictured above), which, for those of you who don't know was a terrible car and a flop as well. In 1989 it costed $33,00 ($60,000 in today's money) which was far more than the far superior Chrysler LeBaron and was also based off of the horrid K car platform. It also had competition from the Buick Reatta and the Cadillac Allante, the final nail in the coffin for this lemon. 


Before I share my thoughts, I thought I should give some facts about the new TD (all credit to Car And Driver for this part). The new TD by Maserati (pictured to the right)piques my interest though, it costs $35,000 for the base model and is based off of the new Dodge Dart platform, which is based off of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta platform. Much better than a K car platform. Another interesting point is that it is a convertible, it also has a 160 horsepower turbocharger four cylinder engine with the option of having Fiat's Twinair engine in it. Unfortunately for Chrysler the TD has some tough competition though, I personally would take the Mini but the TD is quite an interesting car, as well as being a conversation starter it could be quite a useful city car as well. 



Well, what do I think? I think that it looks a lot like the 2012 Volkswagen Golf. That Maserati grille also adds an interesting (in a good way) touch, although it doesn't look like Maserati went all the way with the styling as elements of the Dart are still present. Looks aside I think that the TD by Maserati does have potential. Since it is essentially based off of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta which has already proven itself worthy AND has the choice between two different Fiat engines to power it, it should be efficient and fun. It also has a decent base price that isn't as ridiculous as the original TC and provides the option of having a luxury city car that has some cred to it as you can say to your friends: "I drive a Maserati, WHAT DO YOU DRIVE?" And then proceed to laugh maniacally at them.


Credit to Car And Driver for the specs and facts as well as the article.


Update: Have we been pranked by Car And Driver? 



6 comments:

  1. I'm 92% sure it's an April Fools joke

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes you think that? This was for the February issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, it's the April issue - the fact that it hasn't been reported anywhere else has to make you wonder, and an 87 hp engine in a car with a Maserati badge isn't going to happen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right, forgot about the whole magazines being a month ahead. That is true, not even Car and Driver's website had any word on it. That does indeed make me wonder. I still stand by my thoughts on it though, even if it is a joke.

      Delete
  4. anyone who thinks the TC was a terrible car should buy one and drive it they are wonderful cars and very powerful only an idiot would say that these are shit cars only the 90 and 91 are flops they changed engines to a crap jap v6 the 2.2 turbo chrysler motor properly tuned and upgraded very minorly is a beast i own one all thats done is bigger throttle body turbo intercooler piping and aftermarket greddy type s blowoff and i boost 12psi stock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candi, considering the fact that you don't know how to form a proper sentence I would say you are in no way entitled to call me an idiot. Please learn some grammar and then we can discuss this.

    ReplyDelete