Saturday 25 February 2012

My Thoughts On: The MIG-15

My Thoughts On: The MIG-15



Hey there! Aaron here, this is my first real post. I hope to have "My Thoughts On:" as a typical kind of post for this blog, not to based on facts, rather what I think about the aircraft and/or automobile. Basically don't expect me to be posting straight up facts, this is about my thoughts on things. Anyway, enjoy! 



The MIG-15 has to be one of my favorite aircraft of all time. The Soviet made MIG-15 entered  service in to the Soviet Air Force in 1949 and some countries still use variants of the MIG-15 today, proving its brilliance. Today's fighter aircraft are incredibly advanced, while the MIG-15  is just a barebones, old, low-speed, and low quality jet, so why do I like the MIG-15? Good question. The MIG-15, as well as its American counterpart - the F-86 Sabre, represented the real start of the Jet age. Sure, the ME-262 was the first jet powered aircraft but it saw little service and had a low impact on the world. During both the Korean and Vietnam wars the MIG-15 and F-86 Sabre played a huge role, often squaring of in what can only be described as epic dogfights. In other words, they were the first jet aircraft that played a significant role in the outcome in a war. What also amazes me about the MIG-15 was the fact that it was built as a "Disposable Fighter." Disposable Fighters were very cheap aircraft designed so that if they broke, they could be thrown out due to their cheapness. Due to the fact that the MIG-15 was so cheap to build, many were made (some are still airworthy today) making the MIG-15 a staple of third world air forces. 


The MIG-15 is also a beautiful aircraft, the combination of swept back wings and a t-tail just takes my breath away. Also, the fact that it was so widely used, and still is widely used makes me love this little jet.









So that concludes my first post, how did I do? If you enjoyed this, stick around I'll be making many more like it. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment